As per the annual iBOB tradition, here’s what I tried and liked in 2008.
- Old mountain bikes. Rigid frame, rigid fork. Mine has become the all-rounder and is used for weekend touring/rail-trail riding, kid hauling, grocery getting, 7th Street climing, fire road bombing, trailer towing, new parts experimenting, etc., etc. As I’ve said before, this isn’t my favorite bike, but it’s certainly my most useful. If I had to choose just one, this would be it.
- Rainshield O2 jacket. Keeps the wind and the rain off and if I trash it tomorrow I can replace it for twenty-five bucks. I got the one with the hood, which works really well when I’m wearing a helmet.
- Tektro R200A brake levers and R556 calipers. Best stopping combo I’ve ever had.
- Tires – Bontrager Inverts and Continental Contacts. In reality, I have yet to try a tire that’s a dog. While some are better than others, very few are really awful.
- Spanninga bottle dynamo. See this here. Early opinion. This could change.
- North Road bars from Wald.
- Victory Brewing’s HopDevil IPA.
- The sad, sorry state of kid hauling trailers in the US today.
- Moustache bars. Also an early opinion. After struggling to get them into the right position, I was forced to abandon them for medical reasons. Now that I can bend in the middle again, I might give them another try.
- Flat handlebars. I may try them again with extensions, though.